Research - The When? How? and Why? of things.


So this week Bronwyn and I thought we'd tell a bit about when, how, and why we research. Research is an important part of the next BonyDee Challenge we have coming up because it deals with Celtic Mythology in relation to the changing seasons. Because I don't know about Mythology at all really, I'll need to do quite a bit of research before starting on my story.

When you're finished reading my article go visit Bronwyn Heeley's blog and see what she has to say about how she tackles research. http://bronwynheeley.blogspot.com/


When? How? Why?

First, I should say that I have a background in history so research isn't unfamiliar to me. In fact, I've done quite a bit of historical research. I've researched a particular artifact for the museum I've worked in, finding the history of it  and also researched the history of the small towns in my little area of the world. My point is that I enjoy the researching process quite a bit so this challenge is great fun for me.

When? Why?

For a fictional author when to research is particularly important, because some of the information needs to come naturally. Putting too many facts in a story could dull it quite a bit. So with this in mind, let me just say that everything I research doesn't necessary end up in my story. Having said that I will say that usually if my characters have knowledge of something that I should too. Take my Demon Elite series for example. You'd think they would be the easiest to research as they really are alpha-male escapism romance. While they are super fun to write they aren't the easiest in terms of research and the reason why is every member of the Demon Elite team is an assassin and they each have special skills. So I've researched different types of guns, lock-picking, and sex-trafficking just to name a few things. These are the things my characters know about so I should too. (For those of you not familiar with the Demon Elite books they are assassins who fight against sex-trafficking. The are not sex-traffickers). So I research right after I have a good handle on the characterization for each main character. Sometimes, while writing the book, something will pop up and I'll stop writing to look something up, maybe go to the library or whatever.

How?

I suppose I partially answered this about. After I know what subjects I need to look into I will go to the library and research there. The reason why is my local library has wifi so I can look up books at the same time I'm on the internet getting information off the computer. 



The Way Life Turns by April Kelley & Bronwyn Heeley
(A BonyDee Press Challenge)

LINKS


What happens when two men are in very different places in their relationship?

Almost from the start of their relationship, Jonah was in love with Scott. Scott doesn’t share that same sentiment. Jonah finds out exact how Scott feels about him the hard way, when he sees Scott in a compromising position with someone else. How they react becomes the challenge two authors have set out to solve. Will there be forgiveness or misery as Jonah reacts to what Scott has done?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Books are coming out!

Credo (Demon Elite #8) Available Now!

Win an Amazon Gift Card and some great books!