I'm Getting Weird Now!

Okay, weirder than normal. No, I'm not talking about anything kinky. I'm talking about the environment. I'm talking about extreme environmental conditions and the poor, poor characters who have to experience them.

Turn on the local news and chances are you’ll hear the news anchor tell of some environmental issue or tragedy that happened in some part of the world. Most of the time these tragedies leave us feeling helpless and asking ourselves if we could have done something to prevent it. Like if we recycled more or conserved more energy or water. Anything that would prevent the dangerous weather.
But what if it becomes too late to change things. Whatever the environment threw us a curve ball and there was no turning back from the changes. How would our lives be different and how would they be similar?

It’s always something. In the United States, it seems we hear about weather related issues more than any other kind. I personally live in a place that gets terribly cold in the winter times, so cold that often times it causes fatal car crashes every single year. Also, we have rip current warnings in the spring, summer, and fall that make it dangerous to swim in the lake. In other parts of the country, it’s hurricanes, tornadoes, flooding, and drought that causes people problems.

Most of us know when it’s hurricane season or when the tornadoes will come through, because it’s on the news. I don’t need the news to tell me when it’s too cold to drive on the interstate. I’ve lived in the same area my whole life, so I know when the environment will cause problems. I think most people who are like me and stay in the same area probably have good knowledge of the environment as well. Despite this knowledge, the environment can be very unpredictable and can sneak up on us in ways we can’t even imagine.

I live next to one of the biggest lakes in the entire world so water is something I’ve lived with my whole life. One of the environmental issues that are a current problem in one part of my country is drought. That’s not something I’ll ever have to worry about in my area of the world in my lifetime, but what about long after I’m gone?

My question is this: what happens when almost all of the water on the surface of the earth has dried up and humans have to dig deep to find it? I will admit, it’s a pretty far-fetched scenario. Or at least, if it did happen at all, it wouldn’t happen for thousands, if not millions of years, from now. Even so what would living conditions be like for humans and what sorts of obstacles would be in their way?

Keeping these questions in mind, I started writing a story called The Journey of Jimini Renn. The research to prepare of this novel is fascinating, if not just a little bit scary. I completely understand now, why doomsday preppers do what they do. There is such a thing as too much information and, in the spirit of this concept, I’m not trying to make a big statement about the world water crisis or anything even remotely close. I just want to find out what sort of journey Jimini Renn takes and what his life is like.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Books are coming out!

Credo (Demon Elite #8) Available Now!

Win an Amazon Gift Card and some great books!